Inspired by native American folktales, Guardian of Lore releases onto Xbox, as players go about attempting to protect the knowledge found within.
From the Round2Games and Top Hat Studios teams, Guardian of Lore releases on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S to give players a new option in the ever-increasingly lengthy platforming genre. But this one tries to do things differently from the norm, as you play as Prince Sayri, looking to uncover the memories and secrets of long-lost civilisations.
Priced at £11.74 with an initial launch discount in place for a couple of weeks from release, Guardian of Lore will have you running, jumping and fighting your way though a world that has been inspired by numerous old folktales. With each land distinctly different to the next, taking in the platforming elements in place, as well as enjoying the richly crafted worlds should be something that appeals.
It gets better as Guardian of Lore introduces magic, spell casting and numerous combat systems. Building these into one will see success come your way, as you get the opportunity to take Sayri and dictate the playstyle at hand. And of course, that playstyle will become all the more prevalent as you go up against numerous foes, monsters and the biggest of big bosses. Taking them down will then allow the story to unfold…
It’s the knowledge found in Guardian of Lore that is most interesting though, especially as it is this which is used as an in-game currency. Grab what you can and you’ll discover that this Prince is upgradable, helping matters immensely. And with a story that branches this way and that, we’re pretty sure that the recovery of this knowledge will be all the more important.
The key game features include:
- CLASSIC 2.5D EPIC ADVENTURE: As Sayri, jump, run, fight, and make your way through the magnificently crafted world of each folktale you enter. Guardian of Lore is a callback to platforming classics, plus unique artistic, story and gameplay features that make for a refreshing experience.
- A BOOKWORM BATTLE MAGE: Make the most out of Sayri´s unique spell casting and combat systems! Use them to traverse each story level however you want, with the weapons and magic you want, and customize prince Sayri´s gameplay to your liking.
- YOUR KNOWLEDGE IS POWER: Use knowledge as a currency to enhance Sayri´s abilities. Collect knowledge hidden inside each level to unlock more powerful magic and items.
- A GAME OF MIGHT AND MYSTERY: Test your skills against the wicked monsters, magical dangers, and unforgiving bosses that lurk within each folktale. Defeat them to uncover the pieces that make up the story of each level you’re immersed in.
- EXOTIC MYTHOLOGIES TO DISCOVER: Become part of whimsical settings with a distinct native Latin American flavor. Through each story, experience art, characters and mythologies that expand upon the fantasy genre in unexplored directions.
- STORY BRANCHING THAT CHANGES EACH LEVEL: The amount of story details you have recovered inside every level changes it on your play-through. Replay each story to see your impact on its ending and the world it paints on your screen.
Should it be a classic 2.5D platforming adventure that you are after, then Guardian of Lore should well be considered. We’ll drop a review in the coming days to let you know how this one plays, but for now you would do well to hit up the Xbox Store and muse over a download.
Guardian of Lore is playable on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC, with Xbox Play Anywhere capabilities letting you pick up and play this one across platforms.
Play as Prince Sayri, and save the memory of ancient civilizations from wicked magic that aims to destroy the stories that contain it. Become part of beautifully crafted 2.5D worlds from Native-American folktales, and battle against an evil invader army threatening their disappearance. How much of each story will you be able to preserve for future generations to come? Become a Guardian of Lore and find out!