Mandragora has today been revealed by the teams at Primal Game Studio and Marvelous Europe, with plans to bring the epic and dark fantasy action RPG to Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch and PC. It looks bloody lovely too.
A story-driven, side-scrolling action RPG that is set in a universe of gorgeous paint strokes and inevitable tragedy, Mandragora has been created by the team at Primal Game Studio in order to deliver a rewarding Metroidvania-inspired adventure to players on next-gen consoles, Switch and PC. Just checking out the initial trailer most certainly builds the hype.
Istvan Zsuffa, Creative Director at Primal Game Studio said “Mandragora is a genre-blending mix of everything we love about our favourite games, which made it a challenge to find the right publisher who understands our vision for a title that doesn’t fit into just one box. That’s why we’re so glad to be working with Marvelous Europe to help bring our game to the players on all their favourite platforms. We’re thankful for all the fan support so far and can’t wait to continue this journey together!”
“We’re thrilled to bring Primal Game Studio’s vision to the world.” added Marc Melton, Managing Director at Marvelous Europe. “Mandragora is a fantastic project, with huge potential, marking a new step in how we work with development studios and we’re excited to have found such great partners.”
Mandragora tells a tale in which mankind has surrendered the world to the monsters. People hide away behind walls of brick and palisades of ignorance, constructed by their leaders. Joy and delight are coveted jewels, out of reach of the masses. This is not the world you were promised and so it’ll be up to you to travel by night and take it back.
It will have you journeying through a world in decline, slowly falling prey to the damaging effects of Entropy. From there, expect to fight against vicious enemies, challenge unique, deadly bosses, meet new allies, enemies, and every shade in-between, and make harsh moral choices. There are many paths worth taking too, but the question is, which will you choose…
The key game features include:
- ▪ Explore a universe of gorgeous paint strokes: Immerse yourself in a rich, dark, painterly 2.5D world as the epic and twisted music composed by Christos Antoniou brings this atmospheric world to life.
- ▪ Delve into a story-driven dark fantasy adventure: Leave the sanctuary of the Crimson City and travel through a vast, interconnected world that will take you from dark forests to deadly swamps, burning deserts and more.
- ▪ Enter the dark realm of Entropy: Acquire the legendary Witch Lantern and enter the dark realm of Entropy through tears in the fabric of reality.
- ▪ Encounter horrific monsters and terrifying creatures: Add fallen foes to your bestiary as you battle distinctive enemies and unique, deadly bosses to discover what really lurks in the shadows.
- ▪ Upgrade your toolset: Find artisans to join your growing caravan to unlock new upgrades. Grow herbs to brew beneficial potions and craft powerful weapons, armour and trinkets to help you along the way.
- ▪ Play your way: Master the punishing side-scrolling action as one of multiple unique classes and customize your character’s active skills through a deep and rewarding character development system. Complete the game and start anew on countless NG+ difficulty levels.
We’ll be sure to keep you in the Mandragora loop going forward. For now though check out the trailer below or hit up the wishlist page on Steam. We’re expecting to see this one develop on Xbox Series X|S, PS5, Switch and PC.